Wednesday, November 29, 2006

resources for music teachers and musicians

I had to take a break from singing when I started library school, since the evening classes conflicted with the twice-weekly rehearsals. I'm looking forward to starting up again next year (assuming I finish this degree by then), but I'm a little anxious about getting out of practice, especially with sight-singing. So while this post is ostensibly for music educators, my primary motivation for sniffing around for online tools was personal.

Anyway, here goes:

Good Ear is a decent and free site for ear-training practice. Students can test their recognition of chords, scales, intervals, notes, and cadences by listening to a brief QuickTime recording played by either piano, guitar, or violin (user's choice). I also like the ear training tools on i was doing all right, which not only play slightly better recordings that Good Ear, but also show the student the notes on the musical staff -- the only on the treble cleff, for some reason.

You'll need a reliable broadband connection to use this virtual metronome effectively, since a slow or shaky connection will prevent the metronome from keeping an accurate beat. Though I still prefer my trusty pocket metronome, this electronic version makes for an acceptable substitute. I also enjoyed customizing the sounds of each beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment